Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Road Trip to Houston, Texas

My Mom and I road tripped together to Houston, Texas from my former residence in Blue Springs, Missouri, a suburb of Kansas City. We left on Monday, June 2nd and arrived in Houston on Wednesday, June 4th. We had a blast driving along and just hanging out before I made my next big step in my career. First, we went to Fort Scott, Kansas and stayed at the Lyons Twin Mansions Bed and Breakfast. It was so beautiful inside the mansion and the breakfast was fabulous! Miss Pat, the owner was very nice as well, sharing a wealth of knowledge on her bed and breakfast experiences! While there we treated ourselves to some spa treatments also provided by the bed and breakfast. If you are ever looking for a weekend getaway don't cross out Fort Scott, Kansas. We were extremely disappointed though because we tried to eat at the famous Chicken Annie's and Chicken Mary's diners in Pittsburg, Kansas. They have been listed as great places for fried chicken in the Midwest Living magazine. Unfortunately, they are not open on Mondays and therefore, my Mom and I did not get to partake in the wonderful mystery of which diner has the best fried chicken. They are literally one block away from each other! There is a whole history about these two diners that you should definitely Google to find out more! We were elated though when we found some old little Golden books that we have been searching for that I used to read as a young girl to give to some of my young cousins as they prepare for transitional times in their lives, such as, new sibling, going to Kindergarden, etc. After Fort Scott, we ventured to Norman, Oklahoma and stayed at the Hampton Inn. Then we finally finished our last leg of the journey by going to Houston, Texas and staying at the Sheraton Inn near the airport so my Mom could fly home on Thursday, June 5th while I continued my adventure to the Crowne Plaza downtown Houston to begin my Teach for America Induction. It was a great trip!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Mrg,

I am glad you said it was a blast. I had fun too. I am so impressed you have a blog. I hope you keep it up as it will be a great journey to remember.

Love you lots,

Mom

Kathleen said...

Meg,

Sorry to spell your name wrong.

Hope your work out was great.

Love you,

Mom