Sunday, June 29, 2008

Jackson Middle School Teacher

Well, Miss Osterman is in the building. I am an 8th Grade Writing Teacher at Jackson Middle School in inner city Houston this summer. Despite the many challenges I am facing, I am loving Teach for America, my students, my school, my CMA (Corps Member Advising) Group, and my Collaborative Group! My day begins at 5:15 a.m. when I wake up and prepare for the day. My school bus leaves at 6:52 a.m. and takes myself and the rest of the Jackson Middle School teachers to school. I haven't rode a school bus in years, but it definitely gets me in the scholastic mood! Once we arrive at the school we have until 8:00 a.m. to sign in, turn in our homework, and set-up our classrooms for the day. Then it's off to our curriculum, literacy, and diversity sessions. These classes teach us everything we need to know in order to be the best teachers we can be! I am in those classes until 11:00 a.m. At that time I go off to my prep period and get ready to teach! At 11:45 a.m. 9 students enter my classroom and challenge me mentally, emotionally, physically, spiritually, and socially each day! I LOVE my students! They put me through the wringer during the first two days of teaching, but now we are BFFs (Best Friends Forever)! Most of my students face some pretty big obstacles both inside and outside of the classroom. We often have to have talks about respect, good and bad choices, and futuristic thinking. They all really want to go to Stephen F. Austin High School as 9th graders in the fall so that is a pretty good motivator! I am learning a lot about a variety of subjects from teaching, to working as a team, to parenting, to counseling, to balancing personal and professional lives, etc. My teachers, mentors, and advisers are AMAZING! I could not have asked for better role models! I am super pumped to finish institute and prepare for the fall!

2 comments:

Ashley said...

Miss Meghan,

I just got the letter in the mail. I'm happy to see the blog and to catch up alittle on what is going on with you. I miss you, but I am glad to hear your experiences are going well. Keep it up. Talk to you soon!
I'm adding your link to my blog kay?
Ash

Kathleen said...

Meg,

Enjoyed your update. We miss you too. How was the batman movie?

Hugs to Ash.

Kathleen