Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Houston Teach for America Institute

I have had my first two days of institute and can't believe how tired, yet excited I am to be here in Houston! I have learned so much already about Teach for America and about the teaching mission that we have. I am so excited to start my summer teaching assignment at Jackson Middle School in inner city Houston teaching 8th grade Writing. We have a summer theme of "weather" so I am busy searching for weather related writing activities. I have my first day with my students on Monday, June 9th! I am super excited! We have some big goals set up for these students and we only have them for 20 days! Last night we had our Welcoming Ceremony with all of the other Teach for America sites that are at our Institute in Houston over the summer. Those regions are Denver, Colorado; South Dakota Indian Reservations; St. Louis, Missouri; Hawaii; and the Mississippi Delta. And, guess what? Wendy Kopp, the founder of Teach for America, came and spoke to all of us during our Welcoming Ceremony! It was awesome to be in her presence! Keep me in your thoughts! Oh, and P.S., Congratulations to my Cousin Jessica Steege, her husband, Nathan, and their son William. They welcomed their 2nd baby boy into their family today! They are still deciding on a name!

No comments: